Sightseeing around Saigon

We’re off to explore the city of Saigon, armed with the maps that we took from our guesthouse. I was surprised when I arrived at the airport on my first day, I looked for a tourist kiosk with some brochures and I couldn’t find one although there was a counter stocked full of advertising materials! For a tourist destination like Vietnam and especially in a non-English speaking country, tourist brochures are a must ! Even Cambodia and Laos has them, so why not Saigon???? It doesn’t have to be as comprehensive as the one in Singapore or Bangkok, but at least an updated city map will do wonders!

We were looking for Truong Dinh street and passed by the gates of Tao Dan Park. It’s just a quiet public park filled with local residents, some doing tai chi exercises, others are playing badminton while some guys were busy chit-chatting and having tea with the sound of chirping birds over their heads. I really don’t know what the bird cages are for but it does look nice.

From the park we decided to visit first the War Remnants Museum (entrance fee is 15,000 VND). This is an essential stop for all Saigon visitors as it houses memorabilia and photographs about the Vietnam War and effects of Agent Orange on the local population. On the grounds were old battle helicopters and machinery supposedly “captured” from the Americans.


Inside the museum, the building is segregated into different themes. One side of the 3rd floor is dedicated to a photo exhibit about the victims of Agent Orange, while on the 2nd floor you have a photo exhibit of the war and memorabilia display of bullet shells, bomb casings, and even some old VC uniforms.

The more you go up the floors, the more grim and depressing it becomes. As much as I want to learn about the history of the Vietnam War, the exhibit is still a bit hard to digest especially if you look at the graphic images of children’s corpses and the corresponding narrative about how local villagers were burned to death.


Next in our list is the Reunification Palace (or Independence Palace). A pretty impressive building set back a little bit from the main avenue. I would have wanted to go in and get lost in the history of the place (this is the site where the North Vietnamese army tank crashed through the gates and signaled the end of the war in 1975). This was used as the Presidential Palace of the South Vietnamese government during the war. My companions vetoed the idea of going in. Next time I’m back in Saigon, I promise I’ll go in and check the place!

From the road near the palace, the imposing façade of the Notre Dame Cathedral is already visible from afar. Built between 1877 – 1883 the cathedral is located right smack in the middle of the government square. Its towering spires and reddish hued brick exteriors really commands attention. I saw some local nuns probably visiting from other provinces (or maybe from neighboring countries?) and they became instant celebrities! Everyone wants to have their photos taken with them.

Inside the cathedral, tourists are not allowed to go in further. I followed the black-clad nuns and asked the caretaker if he can let me in so I can say my prayers. He probably believed that I am indeed a Catholic and let me in. The church interior is not really outstanding but what I found remarkable are these walls lit by candles by visiting families.

Just beside the cathedral is the General Post Office, it looks quite bland on the outside but really amazing on the inside. Even the huge photo of General Ho Chi Minh in the center of the lobby cannot distract from the beauty of the interiors. I love it! And so are a lot of brides to be, I guess! Hahaha

Outside the Post Office (even inside I think I saw one bride clad in her wedding dress having a photo taken!), we came upon a couple in their wedding dress and professional photographers having a photo session right there in the middle of the road!

Another favorite for bride photos is the Opera House. We are now in the posh area of Dong Khoi. All around us were boutiques from designer brands like Louis Vuitton and Burberry. Definitely expensive! Lol

We initially thought we were finished with our walking tour of Saigon only to discover the beautiful yellow-colored People’s Committee Hall. It’s just so perfect! The garden in front is so amazingly well-kept and trimmed. This was formerly known as Hotel de Ville and was used as the Saigon City Hall before becoming the headquarters of the Saigon (HCMC) People’s Committee.

Okay, we’re done with our itinerary time now for our lunch break! It’s going to be our last meal together with Jade as he is flying back to Manila later that night. Jean said we should try out the LP recommended Quan An Ngon restaurant which is just two blocks away from the Committee Hall.
I haven’t been to a lot of local restaurants in the city yet but Quan An Ngon is definitely one of the best! The restaurant is in an old reconstructed villa surrounded by a garden giving you that feeling of being in a home albeit a large open air one with a bustling around. They have cooks in different stations cooking live in various areas of the restaurant.
The food was gastronomic heaven. We just kept on ordering and ordering! The seafood hot pot is really delicious and quite filling. Our mistake was to order this as our last dish, after platefuls of spring rolls and beef noodles! Uggghhhh! I couldn’t even finish it! I wish I could take it back to our guesthouse! Hahaha
We were so bloated from lunch so we walked to Benh Thanh market to browse around for souvenirs. One thing I don’t like here in Saigon is that when shopkeepers see you checking out their wares or just looking lost like a tourist, they will grab you and start pushing you to their shops and start haggling with you.
After we said our goodbyes, Jean and I went back for a short nap in our guesthouse. We plan on going out again before 6pm to look for the new acrobatic show, Xin Chao. I am not much into cultural shows but Jean really wanted to see this new show. We kept on walking in the drizzling rain, back & forth in Pham Ngu Lao street as the website said it’s supposed to be in #2 Pham Ngu Lao Street, Circus Tent. After about an hour of walking the whole length of Pham Ngu Lao and then back again, we finally gave up and decided to go for the traditional water puppet show.

I know I should have listened to the warnings given in the guide book and also in most of the travel forums about taking the cyclo but I really did not expect such blatant show of extortion. After going in circles looking the Xin Chao show, we were already in Benh Thanh market when we decided to just go for the puppet show which is located near Tao Dan park which is just close by but after the nonstop walk in the rain I just want to go and sit somewhere. I negotiated for the price before going in, we agreed on 15,000VND each. So off we went. Then when we alighted the driver told me that I have to pay 150,000VND! I was so furious because I have repeated it how many times and even showed it in my hand during negotiation and for me to tell me that I am wrong now!

I was so incensed but still in a very cool manner I told the drivers (who are now shouting and glaring at us!) to wait coz I’m going to ask the building guards to talk to them. The guards and all the people milling around the place started talking to each other about the incident but no one really stood up and helped us. They were noncommittal and just kept quiet while some were looking at us silently. To end the whole scenario, I paid the drivers 30,000VND each. Okay, lesson for the day!

After the cycle debacle, our mood is definitely dead. We are not even looking forward to the puppet show anymore. Good thing it managed to surprisingly lift our moods up.

The Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theatre is located in Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street also in District 1. You can choose from either the 5pm or the 6.30pm daytime shows. The show is about local Vietnamese folklores and stories about village life as it features scenes about fishing, boat racing, and planting (complete with a buffalo with a flute!). Although we couldn’t understand a single word, the show was really great and it gave me a taste of what the water puppet shows in the North might be (I can’t wait to go to Sapa!).

Returning back to our guesthouse, we passed by a food cart selling Banh Mi sandwiches. Here’s my dinner. Bon appétit!


Comments

Popular Posts