Buhay Promdi

Still on the topic of farmers... well, I went home to my province so what else can I write about??? LOL

Farming is one of the major industries in our province, especially rice and coco farming. I grew up visiting our rice farm since I was probably 6 years old and can even go there alone to check during harvest time when I was about 11 years old! My mom used to bring all of us kids so we'll know and learn the whole process.

When other kids go to summer classes or visit relatives in Manila or Cebu, I am gleefully playing with our tenant's kids in the barrio. Being a budding entrepreneur, I even sell ice candy and packed biscuits to the neighboring farmers (helped by our househelp who will then get a cut from my profits). They pay me in kind. By the end of summer, I will get sacks of rice as my savings!

God! It was fun for me. I really stuck to it through the years. The land must be really in my blood. I love talking about the land, farming, etc....

Even now, my vacations are still punctuated with schedules of plantings and harvestings. Last month's vacation is the same. Although it was more coco farming --- especially, copra harvesting.

This time I had an apprentice, my younger brother Dennis. Well, at one point he has to learn these things, right?
First, a coconut tree climber will get all the mature fruits and throw it down to the waiting "husk openers" (not literally throw ha! LOL) who will then compile it into mounds so it will be easier for them to move from one place to another. At this point, I helped them although I am jumping from one place to another in case something lands on my head di ba!
Next, they open the fruits and take out the coconut meat which they then put in sacks to be later transported for drying. Once done, these sacks will be taken to the "tapahan" or the dryer. The coconut meat can be dried either by the sun or through coal drying.
Afterwards, it will be delivery time to the buying station.

You reap what you sow, ika nga. Life can be hard in the province although if you work really hard and you are industrious enough then I don't think you'll really be destitute in the province.

And you have to be immune to skin allergies.....ang kati kati kaya!!!!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Yvonne,

I have been waiting patiently to read details of your sojourn at home. This gives a very interesting insight to what makes you :) More please!
What does "di ba!" mean, anyway?
Bonangskie said…
Hehehe...it means, "right?"...

And thanks for thinking I am interesting! LOL
Josiet said…
Opps...siman it cja mader? Iton imo regular na taga-comment? Hehehe..na curious ako. Tsimosa gajud ako, unsa be..hahaha!
Bonangskie said…
Neng...kaibigan ko na yan sya noon-noon pa nung nagresearch ako aniktus! hehehe
Bonangskie said…
Hey, Chris...i'd like to introduce you to my childhood friends who was or still is with me in Maldives.. you can visit also their blogs.. www.mumsified.com www.josiet.com http://edregin.blogspot.com
eDreGiN said…
-Hahaha! siman iton mudra? as in naghuyat sija nan mga istorya nan mga copras didto sa Madrid, lol!
Anonymous said…
For sure, Yvonne! The more the merrier:) Your friends have interesting blogs too. Just been looking for an online translation site like Babel Fish to translate what they are saying here. None seem to offer Tagalog to English.
Bonangskie said…
Sorry Chris, but we speak in our dialect and I don't think we have an online translation yet! LOL

Popular Posts