My First Indian Rail Experience!

(Diary: Sojourn to India - March 31 - April 30, 2006)

Milling about in the Central station, I was a bit apprehensive. This is only my second train experience (my first was the 8-hr trip from the highlands of Nuwara Eliya to Colombo City in Sri Lanka more than a year ago!). Kunyari dedma ako to what is happening around me, relatives hugging each other, people with bags and cartons hurrying, tourists talking loudly.

I plopped myself right at the entrance, what better way to ensure I will not miss my train!

The depot staff told me I have to wait for my train near the platform (mine was #2 -- i had to go one flight of stairs then down again to the next platform). I am starting to freak out now (and my neighbors too! as I keep on asking them questions, again and again!) as I have been informed that it is only a passing train, meaning, it will only pass for a few minutes!

Without even glancing at my ticket, I went inside one of the compartments. I met a group of Chilean students who have been on the road for almost two months already! (How i wish di ba!)

I went into making myself comfortable (backpack in my feet area, towel over my eyes) and tried to catch a few zzzzs..... only to be told by the train conductor to move to a different coach because I'm occupying a different one.

Try to understand, I was really afraid I would be left by the train (and my vacation going the drain!) and I also don't know how to read my ticket!

My neighbors this time are friendly and hospitable; With my promise to experience everything local, I did not bring my usual travel snacks (chichiria + coke) and just ordered the "train dinner". For only 40 rupees (a dollar -- more or less), you get a dinner of chicken biriyani and vegetable curry with rice.

The train lurched......the girl in front of me was so busy texting her boyfriend......the styrofoam box in her lap flew out and landed on my feet (and the mojos that encased it), my bag, and yes, some on my lap too! I am literally wearing our dinner.

I climbed up to my upper bunk. It is very comfortable and spacious. You will also be provided with a blanket (the AC is blowing near my face and my toes are turning to ice....brrrrr), a clean sheet and a pillow. Although very expensive, rail travel is not what I had earlier expected it to be -- throngs of people crammed in small corrugated compartments, well... that is if you stick to AC compartments you'll be insulated from this. But really, it is safe! Contrary to what other people say, I love it. The people are so nice and very educated. Almost all of them speak English well and are very helpful.

Okay, time to sleep.......I asked my neighbors to wake me up an hour before arrival (its a passing train, remember?) or i might find myself waking up in Mumbai!


Comments

Popular Posts