Ubud: The Haven of Balinese Culture

A friend told me before my departure that one of the must-visit in Bali is the village of Ubud. He said it is a really amazing place to see, that is if you want to immerse yourself in the Balinese culture. So on our second day in Bali, we headed off to Ubud.
Ubud is absolutely wonderful. It is actually a district composed of different villages which specializes in different arts and crafts, one would be a center of wood carving then when head on to the next village you will see lots of stone carvings or paintings mainly of flowers and religious images.


We went to visit some sites around the area although I must admit, we were not able to really browse through and discover the magic of Ubud as we are hurrying off to our main destination --- Ibu Oka.

“Babi guling” or roasted suckling pig, is one of the reasons why we came here. Aside from the fact that we are so pork-deprived back in Maldives, the dish is also similar to our own Filipino delicacy “lechon baboy” so we want of course to compare how it will taste like --- hands down, the Filipino version is the best! (not because I am one, but you can just let your taste buds do the talking…..I promise!).
Let me tell you, nothing is wasted here…except for the bones. The crispy “pork skin” is the most coveted part of the babi guling. No wonder they only placed two small pieces for each plate! Just wait till I get home for the holidays, I’ll ask my parents for a WHOLE roasted pig!!! Lol

That should cure me of my deprivations eh?

Comments

Popular Posts