Exploring the Village of Ubud

I really made sure that I have at least a day off in this trip so I can visit Ubud. I promised myself in my previous trip that I will definitely stay even for just a day in Ubud! I checked out of my hotel in Denpasar in the morning and haggled with a cab driver to take me to Ubud for just 180,000IDR (1USD = 9,600 IDR) for the 1-hr ride.

No more 4-star hotels this time, I cannot even afford the 30USD price tag of Ubud Bungalows (which was my first option!) and so I walked around Jl. Monkey Forest Road to look for a decent and cheap place to stay. No worries, the whole street is just exploding with options.

The small alley across is the entrance to Dewi Ayu.
It’s only for a night anyways, so I checked into Dewi Ayu Cottages. They charge only 150,000IDR for a single fan room. For those with time to while away in between treks around the village, there is an inviting pool in the middle of the cottages that you can cool yourself off. My room was unfortunately located just close to the pool (no choice, they only have 02 rooms left and the other one is on the upper floor), I can hear all the splashes from the swimmers. No need to look for AC (unless you really want a cooler room temp) since Ubud cools down a bit at night.

The good thing about Ubud is that, you just walk from one end of Jl Monkey Forest till the other end and its crammed with notable sights, it’s a virtual assault on your senses --- not only the shops, restos, museums, temples….everything can be found there in just one strip!


I started off at the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary as it is just a block away from my guesthouse. You pay a 20,000IDR entrance fee before going in. The place is considered sacred for the Hindus and its main residents are the cheeky monkeys who roam around the forest and play up for the camera-clicking tourists.

The security guard.....hehehe
Mother & child --- nagsinukay? lol
These two are busy chatting....on top of the temple roof!

There are 03 notable temples within its grounds; the most prominent is the Pura Dalem Agung Temple, there is also the Holy Bathing temple and the Pura Prajapati or cremation temple. I even had to “rent” out a sarong as I need to cover up my legs if I go around the temple grounds.
Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Outside the Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Pura Dalem Agung Temple
Pura Prajapati or cremation temple
Pura Prajapati or cremation temple

Pura Prajapati or cremation temple
After a hefty lunch, I went to Ubud Market for some souvenirs. Although I bought some souvenirs already at the massive Krishna Oleh Oleh Store in Kuta, I still couldn’t resist taking a peek at what Ubud Market has to offer. The market is a colorful mishmash of everything; vendors sell everything from bags, massage oils, souvenir masks, to dresses or food items. It can be a little claustrophobic though. Haggling with a smile is definitely a requirement!

Just in front of the market is the Puri Saren Agung or the Water Palace, used to be the palace of the kings of Ubud and they said that even up to now there are still some family members living in the closed off area. I recognized the outside courtyard, we also came here for a photo ops when I last visited.



All the next destinations in my list are all a bit out of town so I negotiated with a cyclo driver to take me around these places for 150,000IDR. He was very nice and accommodating and a font of information about the places that we are going to. He made sure that before we ride off I have to wear my helmet, just to be on the safe side. J


First stop was at Goa Gajah or Elephant Cave (entry fee is 15,000IDR), this site is already nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was already about 3pm when we got there so the tourist population has thinned out a bit and I was able to walk around the site without bumping into tourists often. The main attraction in this place is the 9th century cave with an entrance that looks like a demon’s mouth. There’s nothing much inside when you go in. Around the complex is a pool with carved stone statues serving as faucets or water pipes and if you go further, there is a waterfall and a mini rice field.



Since we were already in the vicinity of Banjar Batulumbang, I asked the driver if we can head on to Yeh Pulu. I have no idea really what it is about but I read about it my guide book. We had to walk a little bit and passed through rice fields which are ripe for harvesting (reminded me of home!) and came through a little clearing. Yeh Pulu is a complex of rock carvings dating back to the 14th century. Good thing my driver also doubled up as guide and explained the importance of the places that we visited.



It was already almost 5:30pm and after another 30 minutes ride to Tampaksiring, we arrived at Gunung Kawi  or Poet’s Mountain. Going down is a bit steep, my legs were a bit wobbly after being on the cyclo for more than 2 hours interspersed with a lot of walking. The scenery though was pretty, golden colored ricefields, small streams snaking through and converging in a small river.









Gunung Kawi dates back to the 11th century when it was used as burial complex of King Anak Wungsu and his wives and concubines. When I went into the central complex, it was very quiet and solemn with just the sound of the nearby river accompanying you.

The climb back was torture! I just cannot put one leg in front of the other anymore. I’m done. 

But the tourist in me will not give up! I still need to tick off one more item in my itinerary --- Tirta Empul. My driver was a bit concerned now and keeps on asking me if I am still okay. Considered as one of the holiest temples in Bali, the place was teeming with devotees and since it was a Sunday, whole families came in droves.


It is believed by the local Balinese that if they come here and took a bath in its holy waters then they get purified and cleansed spiritually. The entrance for foreigners was supposed to be 15,000IDR but my driver told me to just keep my mouth shut and my head down and not to look at the guards so they will think I’m a local. Hehehe



It was a bit cooler when we rode off from Tirta Empul. It was already around 7:30pm when we finally arrived back in Ubud. I suddenly finally felt all the aches and abuses in my body. I went looking for a spa (and since the whole street is littered with them, you can take your pick!) and ended up staying there for almost 3 hours!

I just made up excuses so I can sleep off in the massage bed, first it was a 1-hr Balinese massage then I asked for another 1-hr foot massage/reflexology then another 30minutes pedicure. When I looked out, I was the only one left in the spa. They close down at 10pm. Hahaha

It was a lovely day and I would love to come back again and explore Ubud more.

Comments

Popular Posts