Denpasar, Bali


Most of the tourists who visits Bali often just pass by Denpasar on the way from the airport, or sometimes think it is just the place where the airport is located! Denpasar is the capital of Bali (not Kuta! Hahahaha), although often times missed out in the Bali itinerary, the city is the location of most government offices and a temple or two that you can visit.

This is an official working trip for me --- I have to do the recruitment for our Spa team and also to source out some suppliers. I opted to stay in Denpasar as it is closer to the venue for our interviews instead of the usual Kuta area (hmmm, I’d be too tempted to go out clubbing instead of working!).

I was late for my 2pm schedule, my flight was delayed so I arrived at the hotel around 1:30pm. I only had time for a quick change and off we went. By the time I finished with my first set of interviews at 6pm, I was ready to crash in bed.

Good thing though, despite the really low rates (around 70+++usd per nite) at Aston Denpasar, my room is really very comfortable. It was a mini-suite with a separate living room and bedroom. Good value for money!

Even the in-villa dining options are yummy.....and with two TVs, no need to go out of the room! 

The following day I was able to squeeze in some free time in the afternoon and immediately contacted an old Sunland colleague, Nova. She is now back in Bali after working overseas for a couple of years. It’s nice to finally meet families of your colleagues, when during the time you are both working overseas you keep on talking about your family members or reminiscing about your life back in your country.

The sights in Denpasar are so widely scattered. You cannot just go to a place by walking, it would take you years especially with the horrendous traffic!

When you have no clue where to go, start with a visit to Lapangan Puputan Margarana or Puputan Park. At the center of the park is the very grandiose and huge Bajra Sandhi monument, a symbol of commemoration of the Balinese People’s Struggles against the Dutch colonization. Looking at it, the grey stone façade gives it an ancient look but it is actually very recent.


Next stop was the Aston Convention Center where the month-long Bali Arts Festival is happening. All different areas in Bali have sent representatives, be it sellers of traditional handicraft products or participants in the cultural performances, that showcases the diversity and beauty of the Balinese culture.











Kuta at night is just soooo frenetically alive and buzzling with people, loud music blares from the numerous restaurants and pubs that line up the area. I love the life in Kuta! hahaha

It’s been almost 5 years since me and Nova last worked together in the Maldives and we need a lot of catching up to do! So we went to Kuta before winding up for the day (or night! Lol). Had our dinner at the very posh Segara Asian Restaurant, complete with a fire-dance performance! Bonggavels. 











The dining options here in Bali just keeps on getting better and better! I was so impressed by the interiors of Segara. I just wish I had more time in this trip to visit other dining establishments in the area also. Next time?

Comments

Popular Posts