A Day in Colombo


Blame it on the FlySmiles promo of Srilankan Airlines --- swap your airmiles and pay less for a ticket to Colombo. I had some lieu leave credits that I can take so I went with J-blogged  to Sri Lanka for a short R&R. She went there ahead as she has a longer holiday than me.

Ate Tess promised the night before that she is going to wake me up as she is scared I will again miss my flight (aww! last Aug trip I did), and well....I almost did! Hahaha she called me up at exactly 5am but since my check-in starts only at 6:25am, it was still too early, so I just rolled around in bed and whoa! I woke up and it was.....6:30am!

I scrambled out of bed, showered, and went out of the house in less than 30 minutes! hahaha

For the first time, I did not bring my laptop for my holiday! I normally lug it around wherever I go.... I always feel guilty of going on a holiday, I think its a common woe for all working people. Feeling natin, guguho ang mundo if we cannot access and answer our emails every day!

With only my Ipad to keep me company (I am trying to increase my score in Bubble Mania!), what a liberating start to my holiday. Colombo, here I come!

I met up with Janeth in Colombo. It’s really true what my friend Chatru had told me that as of this year the Srilankan immigration is already collecting a visa-on-arrival fee of U$25.00. Kainis lang coz it’s additional travel cost and it is really not cheap to travel to Sri Lanka anymore, especially Colombo! Good thing our favorite guesthouse De Vos Avenue @Tropic Inn gave us a discount (thanks Ruveena!)
New paint job at the guesthouse.....last time I was here it did not look like this yet.
The guesthouse is also very near Majestic City.....just a few blocks from KFC

While shopping at Majestic City, we met up with another Pinoy friend (works in Hilton Maldives) who is in Colombo also that time for his R&R so we asked him to tag along with us....the more the merrier!

The whole afternoon was spent taking in the sights of Colombo. There is not much to see around Colombo so I took them to the Seema Malakaya temple in the middle of Beira Lake and then to the nearby Gangaramaya temple.

Seema Malakaya temple, Beira Lake
Everywhere you turn to in Colombo there are entrance fees. At the Gangaramaya temple also they are charging 100LKR for entrance fee, although at least you can leave your shoes in a special box and not with the usual shoe rack.







The weather was really bad, by the time we came out from the temple, the clouds seems to be getting darker and darker. We still continued on to Odel and House of Fashion though, nothing can come between us and our shopping expedition! Hahaha

Our friend Jake is staying at the Hilton so we went there for dinner (he also has a 50% F&B discount!) and had a sumptuous dinner at the Flavours of China......asked to choose between Italian and Chinese cuisine, we opted for the latter. Mas masarap naman talaga ang Chinese food lalo na if may mga pork dishes, ayyy wagas! lol 

Pork...Pork...and more Pork....lol




Word of caution: if looking for a disco club, specify it’s for dancing club or discotheque or else you will end up in a dingy smoke-filled club full of dancing girls in skimpy dresses. I asked the Hilton concierge guy if he can recommend a place to go clubbing, he told us we can go to either Rhythm & Blues or the Basement club in Galle Road, we opted for the latter coz we thought it might be a funky discotheque judging from the name. Yuck! We paid an extortionate 500 LKR entrance fee each and after 1 round of Corona beers which costs 600LKR apiece (a girl came up and chatted with us then asked if she can get a glass of Jack Daniels, we don’t want to offend so we said yes!) our bill was already almost 4,000LKR!

We came out of that place and went to O’Bar instead. It’s located in the newly renovated Dutch hospital just in front of the Colombo World Trade Center. It’s lovely inside, there are new restos, chairs and seating areas alfresco in the courtyard, then the music coming from the funky O’Bar (a classy and affordable bar with such a fantastic bar team -- highly recommended place to visit while in Colombo), perfect ingredients to a great evening.


Cheers! To another great trip in Sri Lanka!

Comments

Popular Posts