Malaysia : Highlights of our Family Trip @ Kuala Lumpur

My sister and I brainstormed about this family trip plan for months, when to go (of course, since it is to celebrate my Mom's birthday then it has to be during the end of May and early June), where to go (my parents are in their late 60s and although my mom is still very active, my father is diabetic and gets tired easily so we need to take that into consideration), and what to do (oh well, shopping is strenuous enough for me hahahaha!).

Unfortunately my youngest brother, Dennis, who is based in Saudi was unable to join as he has some work projects which are not yet finished. We all flew in, my sister from Australia, me from Oman (with a short detour in Dubai to visit my 1.5yr old niece) and my other brother and my parents from Philippines. So typical of a Filipino family nowadays where everyone in the family are scattered around the globe.


Kuala Lumpur - KLCC + Petronas Towers + Chinatown

We got a good deal when we booked the rooms thru Agoda at the Pullman Hotel KLCC as it is right smack in the middle of everything --- walking distance to the Pavilion Mall and all the other shopping malls in KLCC, a short walk to Suria KLCC where we can have our photo souvenir of the Petronas Towers at night, and our hotel room even has a view of the twin towers!

It is specially good for my parents, since the hotel is very near they can easily walk back to their rooms to rest when they get tired.

On our first stop, I took them to Chinatown so they can also buy their KL souvenirs already and be done with it hahaha. We went to the flea market area in Petaling Street and my father got pissed off when he realized that the prices were really jacked high for tourists lol.....oh well, he just doesn't have the patience for haggling!


For a little cultural flavor, I took them first to a Chinese temple and later on to a Hindu temple for a little glimpse of the different cultures that Malaysia is made of.

The Kuan Ti Temple (sometimes Guandi Temple) is dedicated to Guandi, the Taoist God of War & Literature. Built in 1895 by the local Chinese merchants in the area, it still continue to be frequented by locals who come to pray and light incense and joss sticks for divine protection.
Magpalimos daw sya hahahaha (thats my father trying to be a "beggar")


Just a few steps away is the very colorful and elaborately decorated Sri Maha Mariamman Temple, a Hindu temple built by the early Tamil immigrants in 1873. The towering Gopuram entrance was built by sculptors brought from India and has 228 Hindu idols adorning it intricately.

It is the oldest and one of the most important Hindu temple in the city (I think the temple in Batu Caves takes that honor).




Our favorite dining hang-out is the Food Republic @ Pavilion Mall, you can get all your Asian favorites (and a few Western ones, for those who just cannot live without a burger) at really affordable prices.



Last stop is the famous KL landmark, the Petronas Towers and the dancing fountains at Suria KLCC. 


Who leaves Kuala Lumpur without a Petronas Tower photo souvenir???? lol

Comments

Popular Posts