Island Hopping in Cantilan

Ayoke Island & Inijacan, Cantilan, Surigao del Sur

Although I spent 'almost' my entire vacation back home in total 'lazy mode' -- meaning, i just slept, ate, watched TV, read a book -- at least I was able to do something I haven't done for a long time......to go island hopping around my hometown. Thanks to my batch mates for inviting me!!!
Early morning is the best time to start off, the sea will be calm and quiet, and the sun will not be blindingly hot just yet. Our meeting time is 6am, a friend picked me up from home as our meeting point will be at the Cantilan market dockside. I took a cold-hot-cold shower to wake myself up then followed it up with 2 cups of black coffee....at such an ungodly hour, I needed all of these just to keep my eyelids from falling off....

While waiting for the others to get in, I took this photo of a man carrying 'nipa' (palm leaves) to the market in his tiny banca.....this is how barrio folks traditionally bring their goods to town, but nowadays you rarely see this type of boats anymore, it has been replaced by the motorized variety like the one we are riding on.....I definitely cannot go on this one! I feel as if, one false move and you will topple over and drown!
The water was so silent, as if letting us pass by with nary a hum or a buzz.....i love riding a banca....you can feel the energy of the water, the waves, and the way the boat rides through it. I always put my hand down and touch the water, I used to do it all the time when I was kid....to watch my hand cutting a swathe through the water surface.....

After about 40 minutes, I can already see a glimpse of the island of Ayoke.....a lush green island in the midst of the ocean.....this is going to be our first stop!

We stopped off in a secluded cove, I felt as if we have the whole island to ourselves! But just farther afield, is a small community. Ayoke Island is only a 'sitio' but it has its own primary school, my mother's cousin used to teach here before.After baking myself in the sun, we took the banca again and ventured off in the other side of the island to go into the sitio proper in search of fresh buko juice! The island is a typical fishing village, with colorful boats lining up along the entrance to the island. The people were so nice and welcoming, faces wreath with smiles.....I was so surprised to see these...... solar panels dotted around the island....I asked where they got this from, and they said, all the islanders who wants to install it in their houses (there is no electricity connection in the island.....so its this or the kerosene lamps! ) will be subsidized by the local government and they only have to pay about 250 pesos per month....good bargain already, no high electric bills to pay! These panels were donated by a foreign government (i forgot which country it was! sorry!) as some sort of development project.
After stuffing ourselves with fresh buko, it was already past noon so we decided to move to the nearby island of Inijacan (or we locals call it, Double B --- Bagong Banwa). Even from afar, you can already see a stretch of white sand coming out from an expanse of green foliage and surrounded by clear blue waters, the nearer you come to the island....the color of the water also changes....
To our very kind 'bangkero', salamat karajaw!!! He took us around the whole day and even brought his wife to help us out during cooking time......that is what you call 'true' hospitality!

Comments

Anonymous said…
next time mouli ako amoi ako jaon main event an mag tour sa carcanmadcarlan gazud... kay abi ta alien sa lupang sinilangan ako chi guveh an show hehehe
Bonangskie said…
I-career mo gajud kay basin pati Carrascal dili kaw makabatok! hahaha
Unknown said…
Hi! thank you for the pics-i really enjoy reading-I missed my place so much-hinaot na mobalik pa kamo pagbisita didto...

chelsea Guijo

Popular Posts