Haputale: A trip to Diyaluma Falls (part 2)

I had to wake up early the following morning coz I was invited by the family to join them and their guests to Diyaluma Falls. It is about an hour’s ride from Haputale, I’m not really quite sure about the exact distance coz we stopped over for about 15 minutes at Koslanda (the nearest village near the falls) to get some food supplies before heading on to the plantation where we will start our hike.

Due to the large Tamil population in this area, Hindu kovils are more present here than elsewhere in Sri Lanka except maybe in the Jaffna peninsula. You will pass by this colorful kovil on your way towards the plantation.

We hiked for about 20 minutes (or was it 30 minutes for me? Hahaha coz I know I was the last one to arrive on site and the others were already swimming by the time I got there!) through the plantation before reaching the natural swimming pools. These are actually pools of water coming from the mountains surrounding the area and cascading down these pools and going down before dropping off at the edge and becoming the 3rd highest waterfall in Sri Lanka, the beautiful Diyaluma Falls.

My best memory of the place will not really be the astounding perfection of the landscape of Haputale but of the warmth and hospitality that I have received from the Dias family and Oliver (their German friend and regular visitor). They just embraced me into their family as if they had known me for years!

I really had fun frolicking in the cold water and getting splashed on. The food was also delicious albeit a little spicy! Oh well, I need a little spice to ward off the cold water!

I missed picnics at home where you also look for firewood, prepare the food right there, and cook it over the fire --- and eat with your hand! Yummy!

Oliver invited us to join him and the other guys who are going down towards the waterfalls. I chickened out when I heard them say it’s a little slippery going down and that it’s about an hour and a half away till the base of the falls. Instead, I went with the kids in the van and we just circled around to the falls and waited for them there. Hahahaha such a sissy!

Found a colorful grasshopper on our way back through the plantation. It was also not camera-shy at all. Lol

Such a truly wonderful day! And to cap it off, the sun was starting to set and the skies were becoming colorfully vivid while on our way back to the guesthouse. Perfect!

Comments

Popular Posts