Tropic Inn @ 19 De Vos Avenue, Colombo

I was surfing the Net looking for cheap guesthouses to stay in Colombo, as my budget is slowly getting drained out. There is really a dearth of affordable, safe, and clean guesthouses in Colombo these days. So I was so surprised to chance upon a real treasure of a place – Tropic Inn @ 19 De Vos Avenue.

The place is kept clean and tidy all the time. Really spotlessly clean, which is a rarity in Colombo guesthouses, well, even hotels for that matter! I was really surprised at how comfortable I felt in this place. Mohamed, the caretaker, will really make sure you have a fresh towel and clean linens all the time.

Despite its central location (in Colombo 4 – Bambalapitiya area), the tuktuk drivers will find it difficult to locate as it doesn’t have a signage outside the house although the address is well-positioned in front of the gate so you wouldn’t miss it. Better get the directions to the place beforehand, or else you can tell them...go via Duplication Road then turn right towards Galle Rd, 2 blocks prior to House of Fashion. It is near Majestic City and House of Fashion if you want to shop, if you are craving for junk food, there is Shakeys Pizza or KFC close by.

If you want to book online or contact them by email beforehand, you can check their website for any details. Or you can call them directly if you are already in the country.

The rates are reasonable. During my first stay, I had a single room (in the upper floor of the house) with attached bathroom and AC which at U$30 per night is already good value in that area, and there is free Wifi thrown in as well. It also comes with a free breakfast in the morning, prepared by Mohamed.

If you are only staying for a night or two, there is also a dorm option (there are 3 beds per room, one for ladies, another one for men) which is only fan-cooled although you can pay a higher rate and ask for the AC to be turned on but otherwise you pay only 1500LKR per person, per night. I tried this one in my second stay and it was great!

I ended up staying there for most of my stay in Colombo and even promised Mohamed that I will be coming back there to stay during my next visits!

Comments

jblogged said…
Kon makakadto ako sa CMB anhi dakaw sab ako magstay. No more Cinnamon and Hilton Hotels kay dili naman ma-afford waaaaaksss!
lily said…
sawasdee ka!!
I come to visit naka...
Bonangskie said…
@Ganda, mas marajaw sab sija kay free wifi!

@lily, thanks for visiting my blog! ;-)

Popular Posts