Thank you, Namaal...

When we came back from our trip, I got sidetracked by work, moving out, and yes, Facebook. LOLz. But I cannot really renege on a promise I made to myself, that the first thing I'd do when I come back is to write about our Tuktuk driver/Tour guide, Namaal.
I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, be any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again ~ William Penn

Whenever we travel, we always meet people who creates a huge and lasting impact to us, for this trip, it was a smiley, chatty and kind-hearted tuktuk driver who simply restored my trust in the innate kindness and generosity of spirit of human beings no matter the race or color.

I've been so blase now regarding tuktuk drivers, maybe after living and travelling in Asia for a long time, I have dismissed them as greedy and money-swindling thugs. When we got off from the Kandy bus station, I was a bit surprised when the first tuktuk driver who passed by just said "100 rupees" for the ride to town. I couldn't believe our luck! And that was just the start...

When we asked him to recommend a nice guesthouse (this trip to Kandy was not in our itinerary and out of our expense budget! LOL), he directed us to a very private place with only 3 leased rooms in the house of a local doctor whose kids have gone to college abroad already, his wife is the one who takes care of the place and is so welcoming! From then on, we went around the temples in Kandy in Namaal's tuktuk until our departure the following day. He even tried to give back the 600 rupees commission he got from the Ayurveda spa that he took us to (the owner gave him 200 rupees for each tourist he can bring). I mean, hello??? Is the guy for real??

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see ~ Mark Twain

I hope I will be able to repay the kindness shown to us by Namaal. As much as I want him to get a better life than driving a tuktuk, there is a part of me who wishes that he will stay there so he can touch more people with his goodness and generosity, for us to feel better and get cured of the blaseness which has engulfed us in our middle class cocoons.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Yvonne, Great to hear you had a pleasant trip. Kandyan Sinhala people exhibit the charm of their ancient former kingdom. I have been there sometime ago and they were like that even then. How's everything coming up for Christmas?
Josiet said…
Ay sya pala yung sinasabi ni Langga na Namaal! Hahaha!

Anyway, I am sure you will pay it forward, the kindness, I mean.
eDreGiN said…
-I agree Namal is the best! ...dont forget to send him the pictures mujer :-)
Bonangskie said…
To Chris:

Yeah, ive met warm and hospitable people in my previous trips to kandy also.

Will be in my new job on 20th Dec, so i'll be based in the resort till Jan 5th.


To Josiet:

Yes, sija an taglaong nan bayot! hehehe...buotan gajud sab.
Bonangskie said…
Will definitely do that Gands! Padala kaya tayo ng Christmas gift??? hmm...big problem kasi d sya Christian! lol
Marites said…
that's so nice naman. So, he's one of those who gets the travel experience more pleasant and beautiful.
Bonangskie said…
Thanks for dropping by, Maritess!

Yeah, i think there are people left in this world who are still unspoilt..hehe...people like him really makes our travels memorable.

p.s. can I add you? :)

Popular Posts