PBA Live!!!

Cebu City, Philippines

Aside from Boxing and Manny Pacquiao, there is another sport that can unite or divide the Filipino nation --- Basketball.


We are a country of basketball fanatics. Even the smallest village will have its own basketball court and almost all high school establishments will have one…..umm, I think the students might stage a rally if the school administration will not put up one! The most popular kids in school were the members of the basketball team especially the top scorers……as in, I have lots of memories of shouting my guts out during basketball tournaments back in my hometown.

Since grade school days (I was still 9yrs old and barely 4 feet when my never-ending love of the sport started), my top 2 teams were Alaska and San Miguel Beer…..my loyalties are in that order as well….meaning, mas luv ko ang Alaska and Coach Tim Cone! Hehehe

We shout, heckle, hurl insults at the other team……or else, mas magaling pa tayo sa Coach or Referees......hahahha..... Filipinos are definitely emotional when it comes to Basketball.

I used to splurge on PBA tickets (Philippine Basketball Association) way back in my university days, even if it means I have to eat instant noodles for a whole week just so I can afford to watch it live at the Pasay Astrodome (di pa sa Araneta ang venue nung time na yun! Hahahaha…..that long ago it was!).

Weeks before my trip home, I started browsing already for the PBA regional schedule and really prayed hard that they will have a Cebu sked and yes, we were lucky!!! They have a game scheduled in Cebu and the teams playing are Coca-Cola versus my other favorite, San Miguel Beer!

I took my parents with me to watch the game from courtside…..para mas malapit talaga! Hahaha

The Beermen totally dominated the game with the other team even trailing by at least 20 points. Feel na feel ko talaga!
My mom had the time of her life, mega shy pa sya but I was able to prod her on to have a picture taken with SMB player, Lordy Tugade…….ipa-print daw nya at ilagay sa office desk nya! Hahaha

Of course, I must have a photo taken with the man of the hour, Dondon Hontiveros (my brother Dennis’ favorite PBA player) who received his 5,000th points also that night. But I failed to have a photo with my favorite Olsen Racela (unbelievable how great he still is! I mean, he was already a top player during my college days!). Next time talaga, I hope he doesn’t retire yet! Hahaha

Another thing that we usually check out are the player’s shoes……they always have the best-looking shoes! Siempre, they have lots of sponsors who supply them with the latest IT shoes!
Oh well, till the next game……..I hope I can watch Alaska Milkmen this time around…..

Comments

Popular Posts