Galle - The Queen City of the South

I really have to thank my host for being so kind to show me around the south, after the weekend at Unawatuna I don’t want to leave the area yet without visiting one of my “must see” places --- Galle.

Founded in the early 16th century by the Portuguese which were later on driven away by the Dutch during the mid 1600s, the city is a perfect example of a European colonial enclave within a South Asian locale. Also declared a World Heritage City by UNESCO, Galle remains to be a working city, still alive with residents going about their daily life side by side the horde of tourists clicking pictures everywhere.

From the Portuguese to the Dutch and later on the British colonizers, the heavily fortified city remains intact through the centuries (even the 2006 tsunami which cut a deadly swathe in the southern coast of Sri Lanka did not leave much damage on the Fort area, although the outer ‘new’ towns were heavily devastated). I feel as if these visitors managed to add up to the architectural marvels around the city, you have a Dutch Reformed Church replacing an old Portuguese church and just nearby you can see the gleaming white façade of the Meeran Jumma Masjid which was originally built in the early 1700s but later rebuilt in 1904. Maybe because of the heavy European Christian influences, the mosque resembles that of a church.

Walking around the city is the best way to discover its beauty. We started by parking the car near the The Fort Hotel Gallery and then going on foot towards the southern part of the fort walls. First stop was of course the Lighthouse. Galle, being a very popular seaport even in the olden days of the Ceylon era is a very important maritime stop for commercial vessels plying the Indian Ocean and the Lighthouse served as a beacon for seafarers as early as 1848 although it was burnt down in 1936 and rebuilt in 1940. It is the best place to start your walk around the walls. The view of the Indian Ocean from the top of the walls is breathtakingly amazing!

After about an hour of walking around the fortress walls, my host guided me towards the popular Pedlar's Inn Cafe for our late brunch. It's a very artsy place, a renovated old colonial house which has a restaurant/cafe, jewelry and souvenir shop inside. I really loved the decors inside, especially the table settings and the colorful mix of cushions on the sofas. Parang I want to copy this at home also!


Before departing, we stopped at this church. It's a Sunday, and the Catholic in me, needs to at least visit a place of worship and kneel and say my prayers (although I don't understand the German notice at the entrance, so I took a photo na lang instead!). Oh how I would love to hear mass in this church, its so solemn inside and looks so old. I just love old churches!

I wanted to stay longer and explore the city more. I felt as if I have not fully discovered the cultural gems that Galle has to offer. I was dragging my feet and kept on looking back at all the old houses, museums, and galleries that we pass by.

Sadly, we had to go back to Colombo. A week of site visits and supplier meetings awaits me…..till the next trip again.

Comments

Chris said…
While the church looks European, the retaining wall, steps and gate look remarkably British. By the way, the German writing probably reads "your generous donation helps to maintain this building and undertake urgently needed repairs."
Bonangskie said…
Thanks for the translation Chris! They must have had a German priest at that time. Lol

Popular Posts