Meat-free Day

I really have started to wake up to the fact that Climate Change is here………and it’s not going away, not anytime soon……or as scientists predict, even if we start de-carbonizing now we will only be able to reverse the trend by 2050………that’s scary, coz they are even trying to be optimistic I think……

The truth is, we have been negligent and complacent. We think that the planet is here for us to use up and destroy. Well, it is now responding back to us. Typhoons and floods ravaged my country a few weeks back, hundreds of people lost their lives and thousands more lost their homes.

It is difficult for a normal person like me to comprehend the complexities of the de-carbonizing campaign but I am trying in a small way to start afresh.

I’m going to start with a few baby steps………by asking everyone to support the “Meat-free Day” initiative (the company I'm working for has already a Meat-free day policy since last month).

Every week, you will allocate a day wherein it’s totally meat-free. You will only eat seafoods and vegetables, a totally fishetarian diet. Meats will be banned from your diet the whole day. Isn’t it refreshing and healthy to be free from red meats even for a day??

It’s not a problem for me coz I love seafoods and I can live with eating fish every day! Hehehe

I think my parents have been ahead of their time in this regard (though I think their reasons back then were more economical……hehehe) coz when we were growing up, the whole week from Monday to Friday we can only eat fish and vegetables and only during weekends that we can have our “special” meat dishes. For me that time, Saturdays and Sundays are pure heaven --- I can have all the meats I want! But now looking back at it……they have really given us a much better way of life!

I’m not saying that you totally revolutionize your eating habits, I do salute people who can and I have friends who are vegans by virtue of religion………as much as I want to help the environment, I just cannot live without chicken and pork at least once a week! Lol

I have started to forego red meats but I will really try harder next year………for my New Year’s resolution……no more red meats like beef, mutton, etc………

Every time you eat red meat, just think about this………

100 kgs The amount of methane emitted by the average cow every year. Methane is a greenhouse gas with an effect 23 times greater than carbon dioxide, so this is equal to 2,300kgs per year, or almost the same as two return flights between London and New York, or driving 7,800 miles.

1.5 Billion The estimated number of cows and bulls worldwide. They produce two-thirds of the world’s ammonia, a contributing cause of acid rain.

1kg The amount of carbon dioxide needed to produce one burger in a fast-food restaurant.

Let us help our planet in any way we can!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
weeee.. i can live without red-meat for a day too... weeee.. and i just bought 2 refillable water bottles and I always bring one with me so i won't buy any bottled waters.. not only i save money but also the environment. weee
Josiet said…
I am not a big fan of meats either so I can live without it. Let's go meat-free forever! Hehehe
eDreGiN said…
-Hahaha! Lola V, nahimuot ako sa paghunahuna na isda an ato mga kinaon sa Madrid not because magfishetarian churvalo ta, ambaja kay tungod sa pagkapoorita, hahaha!
Bonangskie said…
@Josiet, i cannot be meat-free forever! hahaha...i am gorging on pork right now! but the others i can live without...definitely!

@Ganda, yes-terday Neng! hahaha...tungod sa ka pordoy nato usa pirmi lam isda hastan gulay an sud-an!

@Karlota, thats good! yeah, we really have to start now...hehehe for a day lang ang meat-free? ako sad dili ko kakaya ng full week!

Popular Posts