Crossing the Friendship Bridge

15th day (21st March 2008)

Hay naku, regular buses nga naman ang bibilis talaga! Instead of the scheduled 6.30am arrival, we arrived at 5am in Vientiane!!

And since this is the time of Cameron Diaz and Demi Moore, the cutesy boylet came over and asked me whether I’m staying over in Vientiane and when I told him I’ll just park myself at Joma Café, he said he’ll drop by once he gets a place to stay. Ang powers talaga ng mga gurangskie ever!

Couldn’t even get a dorm bed at Sabai Dee GH, grabe na talaga to! Tapos I couldn’t connect pa to the internet @ Joma Café. Kainis na talaga to! Been here for almost 2 hours now! I still have 6 hrs to go till my van transfer to Nong Khai. There was a steady stream of singletons na papa-bles parading through the café and sometimes sitting there having coffee it made me think, hay naku mag enjoy siguro kami ni Ganda kung nagkataon na sumama sya!
We took a 10-minute shuttle bus to the Thai border after getting our passports stamped from the Lao side. There was a huge queue coz there were busloads of students and teachers who are going back to Thailand from a seminar or sports event in Vientiane. Maybe it’s the heavy weight of my backpack (Grabe, ang bigat ng bags ko! Imagine carrying these bags for almost one hour) but it seems as if the wait at the passport control office took hours when in fact it was only about 30-45 minutes. Feeling ko na-dislocate ang shoulder blades ko talaga! Repeat na naman ito bukas when we arrive in Bangkok. Once we were cleared from Thai border, we boarded the van again for another 15-minute ride through the Friendship Bridge onwards to Nong Khai, the border town with the nearest rail link to Bangkok. I would have wanted to stay longer in Nong Khai and explore the place on foot but my train departs at 6.40pm so I’d better stay at the railway station otherwise the train might leave without me and the next train Bangkok is at 6am the following day.

The train is late by 1 hour, very typical of 3rd world rail transportation, it never is on time.
Gosh, I feel so grimy! I haven’t washed for 2 days, haven’t changed, and haven’t washed my face even! I promise, next time I travel I won’t backpack anymore, I’ll just fly all the time or take a leisurely vacation not this rushed itinerary wherein all I do is lug my overweight bags all over the place!!!! I’m done with mga ka-cheapan talaga sa buhay!

Comments

Popular Posts