Shopping Frenzy in Bangkok

16th – 17th day (22nd – 23rd March 2008)

We got in late as well. It was almost 8.30am when we arrived at the Hualamphong Station. I debated on whether to go to the infamous Khao San Road or to my usual haunt, the hotels in Soi 1 --- just in front of Mahboonkroong Mall.

I was able to find a really cheap hotel, White Lodge, with single rooms for only 400Baht, and it’s already air-conditioned with a huge, clean toilet! But make sure you choose the rooms in the new wing at the back coz it has more privacy and the rooms are much bigger.

I was supposed to take a nap to recuperate after the long trip (no rest since I departed Luang Prabang two nights ago!) but I was too excited to SHOP that I couldn’t sleep a wink! After grabbing lunch at KFC (where else?), I went to MBK to look for a Hello Kitty shop. My God! Astronomical prices!!!

Before I have a heart attack (I can’t afford to check myself in to a hospital --- I am that POOR now!), I went to my favorite, Pratunam Market, a buzzling market teeming with fake designer clothing, shoes, burloloys, etc.... and if you get tired, there are salons and massage parlors (the legal and not so legal ones. hehehe), or hungry and thirsty, there are street vendors selling everything from green mangoes to fired locusts!
After almost 3 hours of battling the hordes of people there, I found at last a sidewalk kiosk selling Hello Kitty knock-offs. I bought some dresses for Eiesha, I know she’d be in heaven when she sees these.

Medyo na-konsensya ako coz I still had some shopping money left (I bought at least 3 summer dresses for myself too!) so I went back to MBK to that ultra-expensive Hello Kitty to buy some stuffs (her list says, “Tita Yvonne, I want a Hello Kitty umbrella, dresses, pencils, etc"….) for my niece. I just closed my eyes over the prices. I felt as if I’ll hemorrhage when I saw the total --- fixed price please! I just consoled myself that I got some bargains from Pratunam so it’s balanced out.

I love shopping in Bangkok. I’ve been coming here every year since 2004 and I just love the place, the people (they are always courteous!) --- and the shopping! It’s becoming more expensive than it used to be but if you have the time and energy to visit the flea markets (they have lots of these around the city) then you’ll really get the bargains you are looking for.
I bought 2 pairs of shoes also, it’s so cheap!

Comments

Anonymous said…
yvonne,

white lodge is in sukhumvit soi 1?? or in khao san road???? i hope to go back to thailand again someday and explore more of it but i've only been to sukhumvit road.. 400 baht for a hotel is a good deal.. thanks for the tip.. ciao.
Bonangskie said…
Its in front of the National Stadium, the first alley (really small) after the overpass at the Silom station of BTS (ung skytrain nila) and its on Rama 1 Road. There are lots of other options in that alley pero ung White Lodge ang pinakamatino within that price range! There are lots of mid-range travellers who stays there, its slightly more expensive than the typical hangouts at Khao San Road.
Anonymous said…
weeee.. salamat po again... wala pa akong picture with the grand palace.. huhuhuh.. have a nice day po..

Popular Posts