The Laid back charm of Luang Prabang

11th day (17th March 2008)

Not a good sign at all…..I’m restless to go back to work! Well, in a way it is a sign that I’m very eager to go back to Male but it doesn’t bode well for my entire trip to Luang Prabang and to think that I’ve been looking forward to this for quite a long time.

I’m waiting outside Sabaidy GH for the free transfer to the Northern Bus Station. This is what I like here coz they offer free transfers which saves you the cost of transportation and the hassle in going on your own to the station.
My stomach grumbled……I can smell the inihaw na pusit. There are a couple of food stalls around the terminal where you can sit down and eat. I chatted with my seatmate (he speaks very good English), he is working at a hotel in Luang Prabang. Nakakaloka siya! Sabi pa nya sa akin, your name sounds Korean! Hahahaha……funny sya talaga! And he happens to have a Rooms Manager na Pinay!

My new friend is……. “You can call me, Joy” !!! Hehehehe

First Impressions lasts……..

Luang Prabang is a picturesque town situated near the two rivers – the mighty Mekong River and the quiet Nam Khan. It is so serene, so quaint and so unbelievably unique. Although the main road (Th Phothisalat) is full of tourists, I think in this stretch of Luang Prabang there are more tourists than locals walking around, it still retained its old world charm.

From the bus station to the town centre (which is a bit far!) I have to take a shared tuktuk (10,000 Kip each person) ride for about 20 minutes as buses or any big vehicles are not allowed entry into the town (the main idea is, since there are lots of monks living in the area, when you are on a bus you will be higher than the monks and would be totally disrespectful and also it will make the whole place congested). It’s like Baguio City all over again! Its cold, no need for an AC room coz you need a comforter even without one! Hay naku, there’s no other word for it. It’s quaint! Ang tahimik ng lugar! It’s really worth the ten hours bus ride over a snaky mountain road.
The restos have started to open and the sellers at the Night Market have started displaying their wares. I went past them and went looking for Thatsaphone GH (its one of the budget places which is located just off the Main Street). The only room available is a twin-sharing room for $15, it is big and clean but I haggled with the price to $13 and exacted a promise from them that in case there’s a vacancy in the single rooms (only $10) downstairs I’ll move there! I’m sooooo cheap!
I went to the Green Discovery office and enlisted for the Pak Ou trip tomorrow, as usual, I’m the odd person out na naman! For $31, the trip was for the whole day, it is a bit mahal pero ok na rin! I want to try all of it!!! Wish ko lang!

Comments

Popular Posts