L. Gadhdhoo Island

The other day, I invited myself to a shopping trip to the nearby island of Gadhdhoo (Mr. Thenn, the food manager of the Project team is going there to get some fruits & veggies). I was in a funk mood and just want to refresh myself.

We normally just pass by this island on our way to the airport or to the capital, Fonadhoo. Its about 12 minutes by speedboat and 40-45 minutes by dhoni.

Although the island is quite huge in acreage, the local population is only about 500-600 residents. There is a makeshift jetty (at least now they have a nicer jetty with wooden planks, accdg to my companions it used to be just 3 poles tied together placed horizontally near the beach area) where they anchor all the dhonis and dinghies.

When we arrived in the island, the quiet stillness and peacefulness really made the 45-mins dhoni trip worthwhile. The only sound I heard was that of the crows who were busy playing in the beach.

It was a long walk around the island as we had to go to the farms located at the other end of the island. Densely vegetated and shaded by tall coconut trees, I went around "hat-less" (which normally will induce migraines for me) the entire time. We passed by some local houses and one thing I can say here, the place is so well-kept and clean!

The scenery is amazing! To get to the papaya farms, we went through this cave-like entrance of shrubs.

Hmm, its Ramadan time so its difficult to get fresh fruits coz the residents normally will not sell it as they also need it during the daily breaking of the fast meal. But, the island has generous souls who sold us this bananas.


Enough of playing hooky for the day, got to go back to our resort now....

Comments

Popular Posts