Ramadan in Male

We are midway through the month of Ramadan now. I did try to empathize with our Moslem brothers by doing a fast on the first day --- I lasted until 4pm (barely 2 hours before breakfast) and couldn’t hold back my hunger, so I ate! Lol…… Fasting is definitely not for me.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic Calendar (the dates of Ramadan varies all the time as it moves forward every year by about 10 days depending on the moon). For the Moslems, it is a month of fasting from dawn to sunset --- refraining from eating, drinking, smoking, and indulging in anything that is in excess or ill-natured. It is also a month to ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds.

I was in Male at the onset of Ramadan, and since there are no restaurants open until 6.30pm I have to stave off my hunger or hop on a boat going to the airport. Being a tourist haven, the Male International Airport remains fasting-free. All restaurants are open 24 hours a day.
I always land up in my favorite ice cream place --- Movenpick. They have the most heavenly ice cream and cappuccino in Male. While I was scooping my Chocolate Chip ice cream, I felt so guilty knowing that all around me people are doing their fast…….. or that they can refrain from eating and I cannot!
Oooppss……just one more glass of iced cappuccino, please…….
Oh well, there’s always next year……..

Comments

Popular Posts