Barangay Consuelo

Barangay Consuelo, Cantilan, Surigao del Sur


This is where the other half of my heart lives…..


Although I have been coming here since I was a kid to visit my maternal grandparents, it was only when I was in college that I started appreciating the place on my own and my love for the place just stayed on through these years.

A trip home will always mean a couple of visits to the beach house that my parents built. It’s just a simple, 2-bedroom house which is pretty basic and laid-back. I can stay in my hammock (it is strung right in the middle of the sitting area!) the whole day --- except for the pesky mosquitoes who always seem to love my blood!
(morning scene - washed up seagrass litters the beach in front of our house)



(night scene -- the perfect moon rising up above the clouds)

Barangay Consuelo is a small barrio in the town of Cantilan (the neighboring town of my hometown, Madrid) which is surrounded by beaches and small islands on the other side, and hills on the other side.

(shot taken from Bahang-bahang, a small sitio/village near our house)

From our veranda, you can see these small islands with white sand beaches dotting the horizon. This is the Casarica Islet and the bigger island of Huyamao (owned by the Urbiztondo clan).
For most families, fishing is still the main income earner followed by coco and rice farming. The sense of community is still prevalent. Everyone knows each other --- even me, for that matter! Lol

I cannot say that life is slow here because everyone is busy tending to their crops, or out fishing early in the morning, or feeding their livestock in the afternoon. But there is that simplicity that is so tempting for a working girl like me --- the fresh air blowing in your face, walking barefoot in the sand…… waiting for the fishermen to arrive so you can buy their fresh catches…….

For these few moments, I can always put away thoughts of going back to work…..of saving up for material wants…… Life is simple when you really want it to be.

I feel so lucky knowing that I have this little piece of paradise to escape to anytime I want……

Comments

Josiet said…
Beautiful. I hope it stays that way for a long time! Ang fine pa ng sand di ba?
eDreGiN said…
Ang ganda ng mga kuha mo sa pics? Ikaw ba kumuha nito? Duda ako! Hahaha' Kamingaw, kalami mouli dajon!
Bonangskie said…
@Josiet, yes Neng I really wish din na di na magbago pero from experience....nagchange na rin talaga ang Consuelo kasi it was quieter before with lesser residents lalo na sa Bahang-bahang.

@Ganda, ano ka veh! Ako pinagdududahan mo??? Ala ako eklavu na taga-kuha nito! Ako ang kumuha ng mga pics na to! lol

Popular Posts