Another day in Colombo

Colombo, Sri Lanka

I was bleary-eyed and almost tripping all over myself when I came out from the arrivals area at the Bandaranaike Airport, I just want to get to the hotel and sleeeeeep….the colorful lanterns hanging around the airport did not even rouse me up. These are leftovers I think from last week’s Vesak festival.

Staying at the Pearl

I called and booked my accommodation at Pearl City Hotel a day before my departure from the Maldives. As demand is higher than supply, Colombo hotels these days are always full and since I am arriving early morning I thought it’s better to have everything arranged beforehand even the airport pick-up. The rooms were just so-so and the price has really hiked up, from last year’s 30-35usd per night to 56usd! Almost 100% increase in less than a year, but no renovations or upgrading of facilities. Whaaaaat????

Okay, at least the wifi is free the whole day unlike the 5-star hotels which charges 18usd for a full day wifi connection. Malaysia is way way cheaper now than Colombo but when it comes to service and facilities it’s still a long way to go.

Dining out at Urban Kitchen

A friend has recommended this place to me a while back but since I was always coming over on official work I am always short on time to go looking for this place. This time around I searched the address through the web and cross-checked with the hotel reception just to be sure.

Urban Kitchen

Behind Arpico Supercenter

Haipa corner, Colombo 02

The food was superb! I met up with a friend and when we got there, the place was quiet and it seems unoccupied but when lunchtime came the place was really full and buzzing with diners. It is also affordable. I ordered Shredded Crispy (LKR 590) + Steamed Rice (LKR 100) + Special Homemade Iced Tea (LKR 170). My friend ordered Asian Greens (LKR 360) and we were so full afterwards that I needed a cup of Green Tea to wash it off!

Take note, to all pork lovers like me, the restaurant is Halal…..hahahaha….my eyes popped out when I saw it. I was so looking forward to a plate of pork chop! Lol

Another expensive day spent in Colombo, with its smog and traffic. I couldn’t wait to go out and visit Kandy!

Comments

Frank said…
I plan to check this place out tonight. My girlfriend and I are visiting from the US.

Popular Posts