Anuradhapura (part 2)

I woke up early coz I can hear the howling wind outside my window and I thought, oh no! it’s gonna rain today! But when I got out of my room for my 9:30am date with Mohamed, it was all bright and sunny.

The best thing about staying at Hotel Shalini is their driver, Mohamed. He is one of those tuktuk drivers who are honest, trustworthy and wouldn’t give you a sob story about his life so he can extract more money out of you. He speaks very good English, can act as tour guide as he is very knowledgeable about the area having worked in the tourism industry here for 20 years.

Isurumuniya Vihara

We started at the Isurumuniya Vihara as it is a bit far from the temple cluster in the northern part of the town. This temple is not covered in the Cultural Triangle ticket (5500LKR) or the Anuradhapura ticket (2775 LKR) so you have to pay a separate 200LKR at the entrance. When we went in, the guard told me that I’m the first Filipino visitor they’ve had. Joke! Maniwala naman ako sa kanya, sa dami ba naman ng Pinoy sa Sri Lanka I think there must have been at least a dozen who’ve been here already.

The rock temple dates back to the reign of Devanampiya Tissa (247-207BC). Although the roof of the temple is only about 200 years old and has been continually renovated, the stone flooring is still the original stones laid out in 207BC. There is also an attached square pool which must have been used by the monks during that time but is now used like a fish pond (I saw lots of fishes!).

Most of the original sculptures within the temple complex have now been moved to the adjacent little museum. There were rock tablets of the royal family, a rock throne chair, and the most beautiful, “the lovers” which dates back to 4-6 century AD.

Sri Maha Bodhi – Brazen Palace – Ruvanvelisaya Dagoba

Since I came over on a Saturday, most of the temples were full of local people especially the Sri Maha Bodhi. The tree is the oldest historically authenticated tree in the world and has been tended for the past 2000 years. There are a lot of huge bodhi trees around the temple complex but the most sacred is the one in the middle enclosed by a metal railing.

I was amazed at the number of people around the temple. There were like hundreds of them doing poja. All around the place are colorful prayer flags and offerings.

After coming out of Sri Maha Bodhi, I almost missed out the Brazen Palace. I had to backtrack again and check my map. Nothing much is left of the original structure of the palace. Only the 1600 columns are what remained of the bronze palace which used to have 9 structures accommodating 1000 monks and attendants.

On the way towards the Ruvanvelisaya Dagoba, there were a lot of cheeky monkeys who were posing right across the path. I started to click my camera and they certainly hammed for the photos! lol

From afar, the size and the sheer whiteness of the dagoba really command attention. It glistens in the noonday sun. I was sweating nonstop after my circle loop walk around the dagoba. What is striking though is the frieze of black elephants mural lining the outer wall of the dagoba. I don’t know what it means though but it really looks awesome!

Thuparama Dagoba

This is considered as the oldest dagoba in Sri Lanka built in the 3rd century BC by Tissa and said to contain the right collarbone of the Buddha. Nothing disrespectful, but the remains of the Buddha seems to be scattered everywhere eh?

It was really too hot that time. I cannot stay that long coz it was scorching hot and the stone steps are just burning the hell out of my feet. I managed to circle the dagoba though and saw the remains of old pillars which were believed to support a conical roof.

I asked Mohamed if we can stop off somewhere for lunch. After all the walking around the temples (and in the hot sun!), I am really famished. He took me to a house where most of the tuktuk drivers have lunch while waiting for their guests to finish their sightseeing.

It was a delicious meal of traditional Srilankan dishes and only 360LKR for everything! I wiped off the whole thing but I also had to drink 2 bottles of Coke coz it was so spicy! Hahaha


Comments

eDreGiN said…
Luop na nimo an Srilanka lola venggah!
Bonangskie said…
Yes-terday gajud! I think i can resign now from work kasi there's no enticements for my staying here na kay nalibot ko na an SL! hehehe

Popular Posts