Slow train to Kandy

After clearing up my visa application at VFS, I called up my old friend, Mr. Thenn (I shortened his name while we were working in Six Senses Laamu coz he has a typical Srilankan name which is 6 names combined, the only ones I can remember are Lal Jayampathy Bandara Thennakoon, quite a mouthful! Lol) who lives in Kandy and told him I’ll be visiting him and his family.

I was supposed to take the 3:30pm train but arrived too late so I took the next one at 4:35pm. Whoa! It’s a slow train and although they only have 2nd (190LKR) and 3rd class compartments, they were quite comfortable enough but my God, it’s really SLOW! You see, on an ICE (Intercity Express) train you’ll arrive in Kandy in less than 3 hours but with the slow train we arrived after 4 hours and 10 minutes! By the time I got into Kandy it was almost 9pm already. A good Samaritan (who conveniently had a car & driver waiting for him) offered to drop me off at my hotel. This is what I like about Kandyans, they are so hospitable!

After checking my LP book, I decided to choose Olde Empire Hotel despite the not so positive review, coz its cheaper and centrally located so it will fit my budgetary constraints. Olde Empire Hotel despite the posh name is actually a budget guesthouse but with a historical value. Before its conversion to a guesthouse, it used to be a coffee factory over 110 years ago hence the faded colonial era charm that you can still find in its hallways.

The rooms though are depressing, painted all white and boxy. Well, what would you expect of 990 LKR per night? Hahaha But my God, don’t ever stay from middle to back area rooms coz the stink coming from the toilets are so horrible! Only the upstairs veranda managed to salvage the place though with its astounding view of the lake and the incoming traffic of temple goers on their way to the Dalada Maligawa.

After the initial discomfort (old age can definitely soften oneself and then you start looking for luxurious digs all the time!), I got my groove back and was able to sleep soundly in my first night back in Kandy.

Comments

Popular Posts