Anuradhapura (part 1)

After receiving such depressing news from VFS Lanka (promise, I will never process anything through that office again!), I decided to move on to Anuradhapura. If I have to wait for another 10 working days then I’d better make better use of my time by exploring the places that I haven’t visited yet. I was trying to choose between Anuradhapura and Haputale/Ella. I did not bring any cold weather clothing so I opted for the warmer place! Lol

From experience, I would rather go on an ICE (intercity express) train from Colombo than the regular and night mail trains coz they’re really extremely slooooowww! Good thing, after my self-debate in between mouthfuls of biryani chicken rice, when I checked my Lonely Planet train guide there is an ICE train going for 4:20pm! thank God for LP, what would I ever do without you?

When I got my ticket (there is a separate room/booking office for Intercity Express Reservation at the Colombo Fort station), I immediately called up Hotel Shalini to confirm my room booking. They gave me instructions on where to get off (must be at the “Old Town” station and not the “New Town”) and someone from the hotel will pick me up for FREE!.......Ahhh, the magic word for budget travelers! Hahahaha And since I’d be arriving around 8:30pm, having someone pick you up from the train station is such a bonus! No more haggling for tuktuk fares!

I was such in a foul mood the whole morning because of the delay in my visa processing but on the brighter side, at least I was able to travel around the places that I haven’t been to in Sri Lanka. Even if I do decide to resign from my current job, at least I have gone around the country! Not that I am sure I’m getting out but if I listen to my despondent self more often I’d definitely hand in my notice now! Hahahaha

Travelling via ICE is so comfortable! The seats are big enough and widely spaced (2 on each side) so there’s no overcrowding even on the 2nd class compartment (and cheap also @ 380LKR). I was really surprised! Although I kept on badgering my seatmates if they can let me know once we arrive at Anuradhapura coz I’m supposed to alight at the Old Town station.

It was getting late and the train is also delayed. We finally arrived after 4 hours and 35 minutes. But everything went smoothly. Mohamed, the hotel tuktuk driver was outside waiting for me!

When I got in, the receptionist (who doubles us as a waiter also!) immediately took me to my very colorful room (floor is red, walls in green, and bathroom in orange) and asked me if I want something to eat. At 9:30pm, they made a delicious mixed fried noodles for me! Really good service! Fantastic start to my trip here.

I will definitely recommend staying at Hotel Shalini (you can call them at +94 25 2222425). If you are not too fussy about having an AC then you can opt for NonAC rooms which are only priced at 1500LKR. They keep it clean, especially the bathroom! No stinky smell, the floors are squeaky clean you can walk barefoot.

Now off to my room to finish the last 2 chapters of a Jeffrey Archer novel “The Eleventh Commandment”. Need also to tuck in early as I have an early date with the ruins of the mighty Anuradhapura Empire!

Comments

Jogels said…
ang ganda naman ng Header pic lola V!! Gosh where vala is that?? di ako mapakali hahahaha like your pose pa parang si Angelina is that chu?
Josiet said…
Love the header, Mader! Hahaha, pero bisan ija ra ak tan aw imo pic, tagkuyba gihap ako.
Bonangskie said…
@Jogels, "Angeling Batungbakal", is dat me??? hahahhaha

@Josiet, that time di ko inisip yun kay dakan dili ako kuybaon pero kuman magtan-aw ako sa picture mahadlok nako mobalik ngadto! hahahaha
Jogels said…
LOL Angeling Batungbakal talaga! oy sige na saan yang place na yan at ng rock climbing talang ang lola V
Bonangskie said…
Its in Mihintale...within the ancient region ng Sri Lanka

Popular Posts