Bali: First impressions....will it last?

Living in the Maldives and working in the hospitality industry for a couple of years now, Bali has long been a byword for beaches and glorious sunsets for years. Guests always seem to rave about Bali and how lovely it was there. For me, Maldives is incomparable!

I had been to the famed Goa beaches (something that I have always wanted to visit) but wasn’t really wowed by it. I guess, it’s the Maldives magic spoiling me. Hence I wanted to see for myself whether Bali is even in the same league as Maldives.

After visiting Josiet and her family in KL, we all flew to Bali on May 15th (the date of our town fiesta also!). The first hotel we stayed at was really great. Our room was just right in front of the swimming pool so we were able to take a dip before heading out to explore Bali.

We then had to transfer to another hotel, J Boutique Hotel, as it was where we initially booked our entire stay.

The whole day was spent just soaking up the atmosphere around Bali. As we were staying in Kuta area (we thought that is where the happenings are!), I was so amazed at the place. It was full of backpackers and budget travellers, the place has a young vibe. It seems as if the tourists owns the place, you can see tourists walking around Kuta (even on the streets) in their swimsuits (as in 2pc!) with nary a care in the world. Do I seem prudish? I’m not, its just something that takes getting used to…..hehehe.

After seeing the glorious photographic spreads in glossy travel mags, I admit, my first impression of Bali was like, “so this is it?”….

The place does have its charms although I was probably looking for perfection --- the perfect beach, the perfect sunset……

All of us in our group has been to the Maldives before (except for Sheena & Glenn), and I can see the disappointment in their faces so we decided to go for the other thing that Bali is famous for --- Balinese massage.

For just 90,000 Rupiah (exchange rate was 1US$ = 10,200), we were given a 1-hour Balinese massage and a 30-minute hot stone massage (this is my first time!). The hot stone massage was a surprise! It was really great! The therapists were really nice, with genial smiles. We still had a lot of time so we finished it off with another foot massage + pedicure (mine was in RED with flowers!).

We felt rejuvenated after the massage so we went to hang out near Kuta Beach and ogle all the passersby while drinking the local beer, Bintang! Hahaha…..what a nice pastime!

After dinner, I went with my sister to their hotel and had a quick swim at the pool while again drinking Absolut vodka to take off the chill…..hmmm, my head is starting to buzz…..and I still have to go with Janeth and Pedz for a “let’s morning the night” trip to Legian.

Comments

Chris said…
2pc, Yvonne? Too bad there weren't any 1pc. That rules Bali off my wish list ;)
Bonangskie said…
Hahaha....there are...on the beach!

Popular Posts