Our Nearest & Dearest Neighbor, Hithadhoo Island

Just barely 10 minutes by dhoni (still very debatable coz it depends on which dhoni, our old one can go in less than 10mins, the new rental dhoni at least 15mins), the island of Hithadhoo is visible from our resort.

Every Friday, a group of Project guys go there to play cricket. Well, I was supposed to join them but I always end up on the sidelines just listening to my Pinoy music and most often zonking off to sleep. They always play near the jetty area and the breeze can really put you to sleep, especially in the afternoons!
Hithadhoo is like a wonderland for me. The island population is minimal, just about 950 residents. But the area is so huge and so spectacularly fertile and so colorful. I saw big fir trees which can make you think you are not in Maldives anymore and is in a much colder place than the humid 33 degree Celsius we always get in Laamu.

I also made my acquaintance of the one-armed crabs, they are so colorful! lol
One time I joined our chef around the island coz he wanted to have a look at the possibility of getting local produce for the resort canteen. Lo and behold, what a treasure trove the island has hidden!

It is not a typical Maldivian island, or well just not the same as the islands I’ve been to before. It’s not just about the beach that they have to offer, when you go inland you also discover a lot of beautiful sceneries like these.

The good thing though, the place still managed to maintain its old-world charm with its traditional houses and mosques.

On the way back to the resort, we passed by this sandbank which is blindingly white and glistening even from afar!

Comments

Popular Posts