Adelaide: What's the story about the pigs at Rundle Mall?

The main things that makes me happy when I travel (aside from travelling itself) is when I am gorging on delicious food and shopping my heart out! I had the first one the previous night with our Italian dinner although Adelaide is full of restos and cafes offering multi-national cuisines.

My niece is my shopping guide, she told me that the "best place to shop" is in Rundle Mall.

I thought it was a shopping mall, but same as in Melbourne, it is a street named Rundle where all the multiple shopping outlets and arcades are located. It has the same atmosphere that I noticed in Melbourne, musicians playing guitars or violins, some are singing a operatic sonata or some romantic ballad.


All the major Australian and international brands has outlets in Rundle, interspersed with the artistic cafes that seem to be ubiquitous in the Australian landscape (or at least in Melbourne and Adelaide areas). 

One major attraction in the Mall are the four bronze pigs which seem to be roaming around and sniffing their way around the area. So, why the pigs? 

Got the explanation from this site - http://adelaidecityexplorer.com.au/items/show/97 - apparently the pigs are not your every day pigs, they basically won the City Council's National Sculpture competition! Or shall we say, the sculptor who made them. Famous pigs, eh?

Comments

Popular Posts